26 February, 2010

netflix ate my brain

Thanks to Netflix on-demand streaming, I have access to tons of TV at work (it's rotting my brain, but it hurts so good), and lately I've been watching Law and Order: CI. A lot of it. So much of it, in fact, that I have started to have regular dreams involving Vincent D'Onofrio.

(side note: let's take a look at a few photos of Mr. D'O. and see how Father Time has been treating him):
Mmm-hm. Scruffy, very James-Dean-dreamboat-y...




Okay, a little older, but still holding onto the rakish charm...


um. whoa. Rush Limbaugh? That you?

Fortunately, he's such a good character actor that he exudes a tremendous amount of magnetism, and it makes his character on Law and Order very appealing to watch, as you get to know him.

That having been said, I would like to add the disclaimer that Law and Order: CI is really just awful, as TV shows go. I know it is. I enjoy crime-solving shows, and I know what's good and what's crap. This is crap. The writing on L&O is often overly dramatic, and the plots are all very formulaic, but I somehow got sucked in. My orderly little brain loves patterns, and Law and Order provides the reliable, mindless pablum that I sometimes need to get through a workday. Plus, I can have an episode going on in the background and still be accomplishing things, while feeling like I'm being entertained. That's the magic of television. We're so indoctrinated to respond to TV as entertainment that if we're watching something, even if it's trashy, or badly written, as long as we feel like we're being entertained, it's the same thing as legitimate entertainment, so we stay and watch. I can think of no other explanation for Jersey Shore.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it appears that the social-climbing wife of a well-known plastic surgeon has disappeared, and all suspicion points to the druggie ex-boyfriend. I SMELL A SETUP!


2 comments:

  1. I think your eyes have become damaged, along with your brain. Vinnie is looking older - he's 50 for F's sake - but he still is nothing to sneeze at.

    ReplyDelete