01 March, 2010

march of the animals

I think March might be the most animal-y month in a calendar. It's supposed to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb, and on the first day, you're supposed to wake up and say "rabbit rabbit." I don't really have a point to make. It just seems like March commandeered more than its fair share of the metaphor zoo.

Also, the whole good-luck-rabbit thing is bizarre by itself. A rabbit's foot is supposed to be good luck (although I dunno, read the Wikipedia article and then tell me you're not weirded out). I'm not sure what's so special about rabbits as a species, but they seem to be the LEAST lucky of all the luck-bearing animals. I mean, horseshoes are lucky for you AND the horse, because the horse doesn't lose a part of its anatomy.

And as for getting off on the right foot (bahaha) in March, I feel like you might as well just say welp, February's over, so I'm just going to go ahead and start this next month off by sounding like a crazy person. Rabbit rabbit. Is that my snarky take on an ancient tradition? Yes. Did I still wake up at 3am and mumble "rabbit rabbit" as I shuffled to the bathroom? You bet your sweet ass I did.

1 comment:

  1. But you're supposed to say "rabbit, rabbit" at the beginning of every month. Some people (i.e., my sister and one of her high school friends) make a competition out of it to be the first one. My sister once had glorious plans to put a huge banner saying "rabbit, rabbit" in her friend's parking space at school...i was always sad that didn't come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete