01 April, 2010

paul tobin shattered my dreams

I was really looking forward to grabbing a carton of OJ from the breakfast truck today on my walk from the trolley to my building. As in really looking forward to it. As in I had fully visualized the fulfillment of my orange juice dreams and was thinking about how much I was going to enjoy that juice for the whole trolley ride. On the walk up to the truck, though,  I drew level with a guy walking in the same direction and saw that it was Paul, the director of Facilities. I see him a lot, so we're on a first-name basis, and seeing as I was feeling polite this morning, I said hello. We exchanged pleasantries. And by that I mean I was pleasant and he was awkward and terse. Paul is not a good talker. So that was an awkward conversation, and THEN, just as we were about to walk up to the breakfast truck, he said "wellp, see you later," and stopped at the lunch truck. Thereby throwing off my entire plan. I couldn't just stay there if he had already said "see you later." I was literally crippled by social awkwardness. He had signed off from the conversation, and I didn't want to stand there feeling stupid while he ordered...so I kept walking. I don't regret that decision. I can't handle gaping non-conversational silences at 7am. And now I am sitting at my desk thinking how much I want orange juice.

DAMMIT, PAUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment