23 December, 2009

change is difficult

Yesterday I was waiting at the trolley stop for my ride home, and there was one other person in the station with me. We ignored each other for about five minutes, like you do, and I was lost in my own thoughts, when I heard him say "hey, 'scuse me." I turned around and we proceeded to have the following exchange:


Him: "So is there a difference between a quarter dollar and a quarter?"


Me: "...Sorry, what?"


Him: (holds out handful of quarters, some old, and some the newer 'state' coins) "See, these are quarters, but these other ones say 'quarter dollars,' and I don't wanna give the trolley too much when I get on."


Me: "Actually, you've only got quarters there, so you should be fine."


Him: "Yeah, but these ones say 'quarter dollar,' and these only say 'quarter.' "[NOTE: All quarters say "quarter dollar. All of them. See pictures below."]


Me: "I think you'll be fine."


Him: "Aight, thanks. I just didn't want to give 'em too much,."

I'd like to note here that this guy had every appearance of being a functional human being. He wasn't drunk or anything and he was clearly American (calm down, I'm not being racist, I'm just saying he had no excuse not to be familiar with this country's currency).

So from now on I think there should be a whole new arrangement for coin denominations. Let's have quarter dollars, dime dollars, nickel dollars and penny dollars--all worth a dollar! They're just a different kind of dollar!

(Dear U.S. Mint: please make my wish come true. That would be super awesome. Thanks!)




No comments:

Post a Comment