24 September, 2010

post-lapse post

I know. It's been a while. In my defense, I moved to a new city and started school again. Ph.D. school. So time hasn't exactly been available in huge dollops like it was a couple of months ago. My weeks are now packed full of classes, and I've read more for one week's worth of assignments than I think I've read in the past five months. My brain has never been happier--I think it was starting to atrophy. For posterity, this is my schedule:

Mondays: Class straight through from 10am to 7pm. Archaeological Ethics and Law, Intellectual History of Archaeology, and French For Grad Students Who Want to Avoid their Departmental Exams.

Tuesdays: No class. Hopefully I will soon have a job with real hours, so the day will be more occupied--right now it always feels like a weekend day or something and it totally throws off my week.

Wednesdays: Class from 1-4pm. Pre-Urban Development. So, basically human prehistory, mostly from a geological perspective because it's being taught by a geologist. It's really interesting stuff, but thank goodness it switches from lecture to seminar next week--no matter how interesting a topic is, if you put me in a warm dark room and show me slides...I'm going to nap.

Thursdays: Class at MIT's Center for Materials Research in Archaeology and Ethnology (CMRAE). 1-4pm in Cambridge, so really, 12-5 because of the travel time. Sounds fancy, and I'm sure it'll look nifty on a transcript. It's a ceramics analysis course, and I'm definitely experiencing the one-sidedness of my undergrad education. I totally have the historical context down for all the examples we're shown, but when the instructor starts talking chemistry, I have to scramble to understand.

Fridays: CMRAE lab from 12-4 (plus travel time). How much do I love potsherds? A lot.

Weekends are in flux right now--I'm still job-hunting, although I've found a weekend gig that I hope comes through and becomes more permanent. The other students in my program are super friendly and a lot of fun so far, so I'm hoping to remain a social creature and not become a recluse in my cozy little apartment. Although, as I sit here with my coffee and my homemade apple cinnamon bread pudding (made with homemade bread! Redundant? maybe. Delicious? yes.), being a recluse is looking fairly attractive.

I will try to post more regularly now that I have some semblance of a weekly routine. I can promise a lot of food posts and maybe some ranting about ethics...IRRESISTABLE. I KNOW.

Yours in hermitude,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment